I made an electrolysis bath to remove the rust on the book press. 4 steel rebar, cabled together in series as the anode to be connected to the positive lead on the battery charger. Dangled steel wire connected to the press to be connected to the negative end on the charger.
When I plug it in for several hours the rust should leave the object and be attracted to the steel rods.
I always thought book presses were nifty. They’re old, solid, made of cast iron and built like a tank. I like the huge metal crank wheel on the top and the beefy threaded rod that raises and lowers the press. Although I don’t have a use for one I’ve always wanted one in my collection.
I picked this up used just out of town, it’s a STANDARD Levey Bros. (not sure of the year). It was nasty but I thought I would be able to clean it up well. So I did. Here is before and after. All I did was take it all apart, grind off the rust and old paint, used bondo where I wanted it smooth and painted it with Tremclad black gloss spray paint.
I’ve been searching for a decent low speed grinder that’s of equal quality to my high speed Baldor to use for sharpening my woodturning chisels. When in the store, every grinder I’ve tested all seen to have the same side to side wheel wobble. My Baldor never had that issue. I’ve wondered how so many turners can use the same import grinder and not complain. I’ve come to the conclusion that some aren’t as picky as I am OR they’re using shims to correct the issue, or use the special self aligning washers I came across, that absolutely worked.
I’ve been lugging around these two 4×8 sheets of reconstituted ebony inspired particle board I won at a wood show years ago, three different houses later I’ve finally cut into one of them. I’ve decided to build a desk top for an adjustable height desk frame my work has provided for me.
It’s not the best stuff, particle board instead of plywood so it’s very delicate, it will just blow out if you looked at it funny. I figured if it was too bad I’d throw it out after trying.
The colors were odd, I knew I had to put a solid wood edge on the perimeter and didn’t know if I should use contrasting maple or some reddish wood like mahogany. I ended up using 5/8″ thick walnut as it matched the lighter parts very closely. I finished it with General Finishes water based polyurethane.