Book Press Restoration #2

This is my second one.

I’ve finished restoring this old book press. When I picked it up at an auction it was rusted and seized up like a brick. When I removed all of the rust a couple pieces were broken. Looked like a challenge!

I taught myself to TIG weld and fixed the broken hand wheel and remade the broken flange that bolts onto the upper flat press using a pipe flange welded to a large bolt. Then bought a metal lathe to turn it into the same shape as the original.

Bondo and paint to make it pretty. Most of the threaded things had to be re-threaded and tapped. I learned what ACME thread was and Witworth British thread is.

This book press took many hours and new tools for the learning experience.
For sale for one million dollars.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.